The Plateau-Mont-Royal (Plateau) is a borough of the City of Montreal that takes its name from its location at the top of the terrace on Sherbrooke Street. It has an area of 8.1 km22, a population of 100 390 inhabitants (in 2011) and has the highest population density of the City. In recent years, it is run by the so-called trendy population. The delimitation of the Plateau-Mont-Royal is as follows: to the north and north-east, the Canadian Pacific Railway tracks, to the west, Hutchison Street to Mount Royal Ave. from the Park down to Pine Avenue, then University Street to the southern limit of Sherbrooke Street. It encompasses 3 neighborhoods: the East and West Plateau district, the Mile End district (bounded by Mount Royal Avenue to the south and by Henri-Julien Avenue to the east), the Milton Park neighborhood (or Ghetto McGill), bounded by the University, Sherbrooke, Saint-Laurent and Avenue des Pins quadrilaterals.
The Plateau-Mont-Royal is a borough recognized for several reasons:
It is near the city center (the borough of Ville-Marie).
It is near various institutions and cultural activities.
It welcomes a young population, attracted in large numbers by the opening in the 1960s of the University of Quebec in Montreal.
It has several specialty shops.
It offers a great architectural variety.
It has a positive reputation conveyed by the so-called connected population.
It is not necessary to own a car, because it is served by three metro stations (Sherbrooke, Mont-Royal, Laurier) and a network of bike paths whose axis number 1 of the Route verte which crosses.
It is the first borough to implement the green streets of Montreal; there are 52 green lanes (2011) 3.
A phenomenon of gentrification is observable. For example, many of the rents have doubled since the early 2000s.
Le parc La Fontaineis a large park in Montreal, located in the borough of Le Plateau-Mont-Royal. It was named in honor of Louis-Hippolyte La Fontaine. It is surrounded by the quadrilateral of Sherbrooke Street, Parc-La Fontaine Avenue, Rachel Street and Papineau Avenue.
La Fontaine Park (formerly Logan Park) is located on the grounds of the former Logan farm. This land, ceded to the Government of Canada in 1845, served as a field of military maneuvering for 40 years. The soldiers of the British garrison live there and practice in the countryside.
The city of Montreal rented part of the Logan farm to create a park that was inaugurated in 1874 as Logan Park. The first major beautification and development work was undertaken at the new park in 1888. It was part of the development phase of the city’s major natural parks, such as Mount Royal Park and Île Sainte-Anne Helena. Two years later, the greenhouses of Square Viger are moved there. This is where, until 1952, all the flowers that will adorn the city are produced.
In 1890, a house was built for the park warden; for 60 years, it is inhabited by the city’s superintendent of parks, Mr. Bernadet, and his family.
In 1900, the City dug two basins, of different levels, in the center of the park; they are separated by a waterfall over which the French architect and landscaper Clovis Degrelle builds a bridge.
Occupying an increasingly important place in the heart of the French-Canadian population, Logan Park was renamed La Fontaine Park in 1901, during the parade of Saint-Jean-Baptiste. It is named, not according to its famous fountain, but to honor the memory of Louis-Hippolyte La Fontaine, the French-speaking Prime Minister of United Canada.
Three years later, the City expropriated the residences of the east block of the park and, in 1909, the federal government donated most of the western section.
The luminous fountain, which we owe to Léon Trépanier and the Westinghouse sponsorship, was built in 1929 in the north basin and the monument in honor of Louis-Hippolyte La Fontaine is erected. Twenty years later, under the direction of Claude Robillard, director of the Municipal Parks Service, La Fontaine Park was completely refurbished. This is the beginning of the construction of the chalet-restaurant (the previous one was destroyed by fire in 1944) according to the plans of the architect Donat Beaupré. The new building is part of an overall plan comprising a central pavilion, conch for symphonic concerts, an amphitheater with a capacity of 4000 seats, a new bridge and a modification of the two ponds. The greenhouses, the caretaker’s house, the waterfall and the Grenelle bridge are demolished. In 1953, the chalet-restaurant was inaugurated by the Mayor of Montreal, Camilien Houde.
Le Théâtre de Verdure was inaugurated on July 8, 1956. Once again, Claude Robillard had the idea of building an outdoor theater inspired by ancient amphitheatres. In 1965, under the direction of Germaine Dugas, the theater became a song box where, among others, Clémence Desrochers, Raymond Lévesque, Pauline Julien and Yvon Deschamps performed. For more than 50 years, the Théâtre de Verdure offers, in a rural setting, a free and diversified cultural program.
Cart pulled by a pony. Montreal, 1943.
There was also for many years the Garden of Wonders, a small urban zoo developed by the city and inaugurated on July 5, 1957. Although dismantled in 1989, the Garden will mark the memory of many Montrealers with its constructions inspired by fables and tales , its farm animals and others, more exotic, as well as with the prowess of its sea lions.Embellishment work began in the park in 1990: a new alley leads the visitor to a gazebo above the upper pond, while a second gazebo, where we find the works of Michel Goulet, dominates the lower pond in the axis of rue Roy. The statues of Charles de Gaulle and Félix Leclerc are installed. It was in 1992 that the park became entirely the legal property of the City of Montreal.
The park is occupied by many buildings such as the Plateau Superior School and the Calixa Lavallée pavilion. With the years, many monuments were added, such as the one dedicated to Dollard des Ormeaux (in 1920).
Even today, La Fontaine Park plays a privileged role in the hearts of Montrealers and is an integral part of cultural life with, among other things, the Théâtre de Verdure and the Espace La Fontaine cultural café. The park remains one of the best places in Montreal to picnic or skate on the lake in winter.
The chalet-restaurant of La Fontaine Park was inaugurated in 1951 by the mayor of Montreal at the time, Mr. Camilien Houde. It was then operated by City employees until it is closed in 2008.
In 2010, the Plateau-Mont-Royal borough began renovating the restaurant to revamp it and make it accessible to all visitors to the park, where they can eat and live a cultural experience.
Following a public call for tenders, the borough appointed Espace La Fontaine, a non-profit organization, to operate and animate the chalet-restaurant. The renovation of the public indoor spaces, the kitchen as well as the terrace was carried out by Émond, Kozina, Mulvey, architects.
A year later, on June 8, 2011, Espace La Fontaine was inaugurated by the Mayor of the Plateau-Mont-Royal borough, Mr. Luc Ferrandez. The place is modern, trendy and, above all, inviting. The new chalet layout transformed the space into a cultural cafe with a lounge area, a restaurant and a meeting room. The materials, bamboo and stainless steel, as well as the colors, give continuity throughout the space of the great room. As for the furniture, it defines the zones more specifically: armchairs for the lounge area and chairs for the dining area which is structured around a bench and a bar counter. It serves affordable meals, sandwiches to take away, coffee and desserts, Quebec beers, to enjoy in the bistro, the lounge or on the beautiful terrace. Meeting space is also available upon reservation.
Throughout the year, Espace La Fontaine presents free artistic and historical exhibitions. The cultural café also hosts musical groups, focusing on artists from the region.