Villeray is a neighborhood of Montreal. It is part of the borough of Villeray-Saint-Michel-Parc-Extension. It is located in the north-central part of the island of Montreal. It is bounded on the north by Crémazie Boulevard, on the south by Jean-Talon Street, on the west by Casgrain Avenue and on the east by Garnier Street2. If the western limit of the electoral district is Casgrain Street, the Saint-Laurent Boulevard is however the “natural” limit of the district and is recognized as such by the inhabitants of the area.
Origin of the Name
The village of Villeray recalls the name of Louis Rouer de Villeray (1629-1700) (biography here [archive]), member of the Sovereign Council of New France from 1663, and controller of the Company of Canada, in 1685. On September 30, 1895, a new municipality was created under the name of village of Villeray, the territory of which was detached from the parish of Sault-au-Récollet. November 30, 1905, the village of 800 souls (75 families) was annexed to the city of Montreal, and its territory was joined to that of the district Saint-Denis. Finally, in 1922, when Montreal was divided into 35 districts, the Villeray district was created, the limits of which were those of the old village.
It is a neighborhood among a few others in Montreal where public transit preceded urbanization. The tramway favoured the development of this district, hitherto occupied only by farms. One of these farms is well known in many ways, and is associated directly with the park and the urban development of the Villeray district: the Jarry farm.
Jean Talon, another of the leaders of New France at the same time, is also the name of a large boulevard and a metro station that border the Villeray district.
One of the first things to bear the same name as the village was Villeray Quarry Company, which received letters patent in 19163 and again in 19204 and closed in 19345. It was a quarry that has been converted into a park since, Villeray Park, located between Villeray, Jarry, Christophe-Colomb and De Normanville Streets.
Development at the Beginning of the 20th century
In this buzz of development and construction, we find mainly workers who own their house, which is typical of wood, directly on the street with sheds and stables in the back sometimes connected to the main body of the building sometimes not. From 1915 to 1930 Villeray experienced an unprecedented demographic boom, hence the need for schools, churches and a public bath and the fire station at the corner of rue Jarry and Saint-Hubert (1912).
The need for a park was important to oxygenate and ensure that young people and adults can practice healthy activities for the body. The park was owned by Stanley Clark Bagg and the estate leased the site to Montreal for two ten-year leases.
Places of Interest
Jarry Park, where the Uniprix stadium is located (Jarry stadium)
Patro Le Prevost
Hélène-Boullé Elementary School
Marie-Favery Elementary School
Sainte-Cécile Elementary School
Georges Vanier High School
Lucien-Pagé High School